135 years of Catholic Education!
We are celebrating 135 years of Catholic Education! The history of St. Vital School is one of desire and determination of the parish and parents who understood the need for an education in a Catholic school. From humble beginnings to the present, St .Vital Catholic School has been a very important part of the Parish and the community.
1878 Father Florent Hert, OMI, arrived at Battleford from Alsace, France. Along with his missionary duties he opened a school for the Roman Catholic Metis children.
1880 Father A. Bigonesse, OMI, was sent to Battleford. He enlisted the help of Miss Onesime Dorval. Miss Dorval taught at St. Vital until 1896.
1886 The school became St Vital Catholic Public School District #11 of the North West Territories. The enrolment was 89 students.
1893 The Sisters of the Assumption arrived and from 1893 to 1962 education was conducted by the Sisters, assisted by lay teachers.
1914 St. Vital School District built a new three story brick school (now the Fred Light Museum).
1919 The school expanded to include grades 1 to 12.
1931 The Catholic Public School District #11 was changed to St. Vital Separate School District # 3.
1961 St. Vital R.C.S.S.D #3 joined the Battleford School Unit No. 58.
1962 The Sisters of the Assumption left Battleford. The first part of the present St. Vital School opened.
1970 Grade 7 and 8 students were transferred to the Division III School, presently Battleford Junior High School.
1976 St. Vital School completed an addition and gymnasium. Enrollment reached 191 students in kindergarten to grade 6.
1980 The enrolment reached 232 students. Two portables were added.
1981 St. Vital School received a second addition. The portables were retained.
1997 The Battleford School Division # 58 and the North Battleford School Division # 103 agreed to amalgamate. A Letter of Intent was signed by both Division Boards in which they agreed in writing to honor the agreement of 1961 between the Battleford Rural School Division and St. Vital Separate School District # 3.
2001 St. Vital becomes a K-7 school in Battlefords School Division #118
2002 St. Vital moves to the site of Battleford Junior High & opens as a K-8 school with 270 students
2007 A Letter of Intent was signed by Living Sky School Division #202 to continue to honor the agreement of 1961
2008 marked the 130th anniversary of St. Vital Catholic School, making it one of the province's oldest schools still in operation today.
Current enrollment is 200 students