S-LPs are capable of providing formal hearing screenings to ensure children who may have significant hearing difficulties be identified and referred for appropriate intervention.
Early idenfitication is extremely important because ANY hearing difficulty may place your child at risk for academic failure.
Hearing Conservation Tips:
- Monitor the noise levels to which children are exposed
- Purchase personal stereos with volume limiters
- Listen to toys prior to purchase
- Ask for the volume to be lowered at video arcades, dances, and other places your children frequently visit
- Limit the time your child spends in noisy places
- Provide earplugs or earmuffs sized for your child’s ears when the noices can’t be reduced
- Be a good role model!
Signs of Potential Hearing Impairment
Hearing Loss in Children (Super Super Handy Handouts)
Ear Infections: Symptoms and Treatment (Super Duper Handy Handouts)
Detecting Hearing Loss: What’s the Hurry? (Super Duper Handy Handouts)
Noise Induced Hearing Loss (Super Duper Handy Handouts)