What is Response to Intervention?
Response to Intervention (RtI) is a multi-tiered approach that is used to help students be successful in their learning. Through gap analysis, student progress is closely monitored at each stage of intervention to determine the need for further research based instruction and/or intervention.
RtI allows educators to proactively identify students who are struggling with academics and/or behaviors. It allows schools to plan collaboratively and to provide targeted interventions to all students.
RtI aligns with the philosophy that all students can learn.
RtI supports the philosophy of inclusion.
· All students must receive teaching based on best practice at Tier 1 before moving into Tier 2 and 3
· Assessment and data collection must occur in all tiers in order to gauge success and determine future interventions.
· Involving more than one strategy, intervention or resource.
· A framework for all students
· A systematic process for ensuring that all students learn
RtI is NOT: special education